Friday, May 21, 2010

Preschool

Preschool is over for the year. Kira's last day was yesterday. It's amazing to see the progress that she has made over the year. When we started preschool so only knew the letter 'A' and her numbers. Now she knows almost all her letters, plus the sounds they make (including the letters that make two sounds) and is starting to understand counting by 10's and simple addition/subtraction. She can write her full name, and has written an entire letter to Uncle Tanner.

I am so excited to review everything with her this summer so she can start fresh next year. For being only 3 she is such a smart, talented and sweet child. By the end of the school year for show and tell, i'd tell her which letter they were learning and she would go get something that started with that letter, ON HER OWN! In contrast from the first week when she didn't know that 'b' said 'b.' Now you ask her what letter time starts with and she'll say 'T.' Or what letter does 'retro' (one of her favorite words) start with. She'll say 'R.'

She has grown in other ways this year as well. She helps with EVERYTHING around the house. From putting the diapers in the pail, to putting away the dishes - on her own, to keeping her room clean. She has had her first grounding, the neighborhood kids come over to see if she can play, she has voluntarily donated to charity and most importantly has become a great big sister. I love my sweet Kira.

Part of me is a little sad that she is growing up so fast. Where did my baby girl go? My toddler? Now I have a preschooler who has memorized a scripture for primary and has read 'hat' 'cat' 'rat' and 'mat' all on her own. I am excited to see her continue to develop. To see the woman she becomes.

Goodbye to this year of school. I am loving the learning that comes and mostly look forward to next year, and the next, and possibly even the next. At least Rora is still a baby for now.........

1 comment:

  1. I love it Char. It is amazing how fast they grow. I am excited for kira for being so smart she must get it from you. I can;t believe she is reading that is amazing. How did you teach kira the sounds i am working on them with kenzie so she can start learning to put words together. She knows all the letters and how to write them but the sounds are hard for her to get the concept of them. We dont have free preschool here so it is up to me to get her ready for kindergarten so what ever ideas you got will help out. thanks love you and miss you

    ReplyDelete