Friday, September 9, 2011

Mommy WARS!

So, lately I've gotten comments from people about Kira's reading. I've pushed her. I am using her to show what a great mom I am. It's a bragging right. Etc, etc, etc. So I am going to set the record straight. Yes, I pushed Kira to read. I worked with her everyday this summer because I knew that she could do it. Here's the story.
The past two years Kira did preschool. By the end of the second year, they were learning sight words and doing simple reading. Sounds great, right? Wrong. Kira wasn't getting it. She had built up a wall, every time she was asked to read a word, say cat, she would look at it and say, "I can't." One of the worst things you can ever hear your child say, especially at 4. It wasn't that she wasn't capable of reading, I would say, "Let's sound out cat. What sounds are in cat?" "C-A-T." That's rights. Now what says, "C?" "A?" "T?" "Great job! You just spelled cat!"
Being able to be her teacher helped me to see what I was already starting to notice. She is an auditory learner. There are some things that she just has a harder time with. Being able to recognize that has taught me a lot. It has shown me that conventional school isn't the best place for her, right now. Anyways, monologue over.
Back to her I can't attitude. Being a book lover, I want my children to grow up with all the characters in books. I want her imagination to soar. I want her to keep a flashlight under her bed for the times when it's bedtime and she can't put the book down, then hide under the covers to finish just one more chapter...OK, maybe one more. When she said I can't, I saw a child who would eventually learn to read, but one who would always have that nagging thought in the back of her head that it's to hard, or this is boring, or even worse, that she wasn't smart enough. I knew that we needed to get rid of the I can't. So we worked every day. It was wonderful to see her confidence soar as she tackled harder and harder words. To see that I can't attitude turn into an I can.
So yes, I taught my child to read at 4. But I didn't do it for bragging rights, (yes, I will brag on her, but if it isn't about reading it will be about something else...) I did it because I love her and I want her to reach what I know she is capable of. And I know that she CAN!
Go ahead and think what you will, while you are worried about my child and my parenting, I'll be focused on bike riding, story time, baking together, tickle fights, snuggling, etc, etc, etc. Sorry world, I don't care about the 'mommy wars.' I care about my children. They are my world.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! It sounds like you learned some very valuable things that will benefit her, and help strengthen your relationship with her forever! I remember times with my kids when I thought I knew why they weren't excelling at something, and when I took the time to teach them at home I ALWAYS learned that I had been totally wrong with those first impressions. You are an amazing mom, and I have a saying that might help:"It's none of your business what others think of you!" and the reason is, because they don't know enough to judge your motives and actions, so it really doesn't matter!

    ReplyDelete