Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Unsung Hero

   I meant to do this post a couple months ago, but life got in the way.  It started on Father's day.  We had just gotten to Arizona and found a house and were going to our new ward for the first time.  We pulled up at the building and there was no one at the church.  After driving around to other buildings, we realized that they were having stake conference on Father's day. 
   Everyone makes a huge deal about Mother's day.  The media is flooded with commercials for things to make Mom feel special.  The church goes all out with special talks to show just how special Mom's are.  And there we were, on Father's day and there was no fuss made over it.
   Yes, being a Mom can be hard.  You don't get breaks, you can't take a sick day or quit if your work isn't satisfying.  But what about Dad?  All the financial pressure falls on him.  He misses so many of the little joy's of being a parent.  Snuggling in bed reading stories, watching Kira comfort her sister when she gets hurt, feeling cooped up and just leaving to go swimming  to get away from it all, etc, etc.  The list could go on and on.  And yet we forget how hard that must be, being the rock of the family. 
    So thank you Josh.  Thank you for going to work everyday so I can stay home and play with our fantastic kids.  Thanks for coming home and stepping right into helping me, whether it be holding a crying baby while I finish dinner, running to the store because I didn't make it,  or just playing with your kids.  Thank you for understanding.  Whether it be when my Mom was sick and I wanted to spend a month away in UT, or making the finances work so I can go to a funeral.  Thank you for all the sacrifices of time, money and sometimes even joy to build me up, make me better and help me out. 
    You are the hero in my life.  I countdown the minutes until you come home because without you the day is incomplete.  I love you.  Thanks for being the man that you are and allowing me to be me.  You're my hero through and through!

No comments:

Post a Comment