Saturday, September 1, 2012

Snoosie Time!

   I get a lot of questions about what I put in my smoothies so I figured I'd break it down.
I start with 1 cup of plain yogurt. Plain is best, free of artificial flavorings, dyes and sugar.  Plus it has the added benefit of extra yogurt cultures since it hasn't been mixed so the cultures are more active.  To that I add in my spinach.  For the smoothie pictured I used about 1/2 the spinach I usually use, I was in need of a costco run!  Costco has spinach the least expensive that I have found.  It's $4 for 2.5lbs here in AZ.  Compare that to $2 for 9oz at any of the local grocery stores.  Anyways, I had 3 of my measuring cups stuffed with spinach for this smoothie. (And again, that's about 1/2 what I normally use.)

Blend that on high for a couple minutes  before you add in anything else to break down that spinach.  Then I add in a heaping spoonful of orange juice concentrate (this is for the sweetness.) About a cup and a half of mixed fruit (whatever suits your fancy.  I like the costco prefrozen festival blend with mango, papaya, strawberries and pineapple for its convenience but if I have fresh fruit on hand that we wont eat I'll throw pretty much anything in it.)  And one banana.




Blend on high until all the fruit is pureed and enjoy!  This smoothie made 3 of the pictured cups. 
I have developed a taste for less sweet smoothies so you might want to start with more fruit or sweeter fruits until your taste buds change.  Enjoy!

*and yes, we call them snoosies and even sing a snoosie time song when we are about to partake :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Our "snoosies" are just about the same! But I don't use any yogurt, maybe I will try that tomorrow morning. I also love adding a leaf or two of kale, maybe a few baby carrots, or a quarter of a zucchini, anything to get Jaxon to eat/drink his veggies! Chesni loves veggies, Jaxon is a bit more hesitant, but they down green drink like none other! We are in love with Costco's festival fruit blend as well, so good! Oh, and we add a small handful of frozen blueberries currently as well (we got a great deal on them before leaving GA), yum!

    ReplyDelete