Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Box

A couple days ago I received a phone call from a Sister in my ward telling me she had a box from a washing machine and asking if I wanted it. After I got over my initial 'how fast word gets around that my favorite toy is a box because it fosters creativity,' of course I jumped at the idea to have another box in my house. Why? Why would I want a huge box taking up space in my house that ill eventually have to shove into my garbage can? If you saw how Kira's eyes lit up when I set the box up in her room and asked her what it was then you wouldn't ask why. I could see her creativity start to flow as she first told me it was a cave, then a tent and now her house. We cut a door, a window and of course we couldn't forget the chimney. There is such magic in the imagination that unfolds from a simple box. It reminds me of childhood and being able to be/do anything you want to. One of my favorite books is Christina Katerina and the Box by Patricia Lee Gauch. It's a great story and tells quite a bit about why I love boxes, the only difference is that in the book the Mom HATES the box and in my childhood, my Mom imbraced it. She was the one who turned a ordinary car wash into a alien invasion. Who made sticks swords and shrubery hiding places from the 'bad guys.' Anyways, ive gotten a bit off track...I do LOVE boxes! Thanks for the box, the girls love it!

**Disclaimer, I have no pictures because my camera broke and we need to wait until bonus to get a new one*** (only 8 days left :)

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I totally agree that the best boys are those that nurture the imagination. It's marvelous to watch kids' imaginations blossom. Some of my favorite babysitting memories are of the little kids being creative.

    ReplyDelete