Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Random thoughts on health...

Lately i've been enjoying a new show on tv. Its 'Jamie Olivers Food Revolution.' I like the way that he is trying to change America. Not by enforcing regulations on our salt, or telling us whether or not we can consume trans fats, but by education at a personal level.

The FDA has now decided that we(Americans) are not smart enough to control our diet. Whats next? Telling me that my bread cannot be made with olive oil because the benefits are destroyed during the baking process? Guess what? I like to use olive oil. I love the flavor it brings and I believe that cooking with it is better than butter. I also like salt and if I choose to buy a product that has massive amounts of salt in it, then thats my prerogative.

Instead of inacting laws that take away our freedom of choice, why don't we try educating America? I believe that if people know the truth about anything, then they will make the correct decision for themselves. Yes, I know what goes into processed foods. Yes, I still choose to occationally consume them. Why? because they taste good. Anything in moderation is fine. Its when self control is lost that we end up with an America where every season of 'The Biggest Loser' people are fatter. The government has lost its self control. They keep consuming and don't think about the consequences. It's time for them to get on the scale and wake up to the reality that is becoming America. Or maybe they choose to be like the 600+lb woman who is trying to break the record for 'worlds heaviest woman.'

It's time to get back to the America from the 50's. Where mom(or dad) has a healthy homemade dinner on the table and the family talks about their day together. Where little children learn about the goodness of fresh food by watching their mom cooking, then reminding mom not to forget the bell pepper.

Lets scale back our day, restraighten our priorities. To make the welfare of our family first. If we teach our children self control and live the priciples that we teach them, then there is no need for a ban on salt because I know when ive had to much and when to say no. I do, not the gov't. Its MY job to tell Akira that she can't eat that treat, or to finish her vegetables, MINE. It is my responsibility and I take pride in it. I love that Kira knows what is good for her and gets excited about picking strawberries, or eating jambalaya. I love that she knows that smoothies are better when they are green(spinach) and that treats are ok too, after dinner, in moderation. The government didn't teach her that. I did. It's just part of being a parent.

So yes, I believe that Americans need to scale back on our salt, and yes, trans fats are bad for my body. Yet it should still be my choice to choose what goes in my body. I choose to keep it healthy. To eat right, exercise and teach my family those same habits. The government isn't involved and it should stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment