Wednesday, December 28, 2011

opinion please

So it's nap time and my back is out so i'm sitting on the couch browsing the web. Breastfeeding sites, pages, etc and I came across some pictures and I want your opinion.
The picture was of a father consoling his baby with his breast while (I believe) Mom was taking the picture?? Maybe she was busy and came in the room!?! I found the picture quite disturbing so I won't share it, but it got me to do some research on male lactation. I know that physiologically it 'is' possible, but I know that it isn't something that I find natural in any way. Yes, my girls have both been kangaroo(ing?) with Daddy and have found his breast, but he has immediately changed positions with them and if they were really hungry, passed them to me. So what do you think? Am I the only one that thinks that this is completely unnatural and IMO, wrong? And if you do see it differently, please let me know why.
Thanks :)

2 comments:

  1. I know that in the early phase, that rooting reflex is pretty strong, and they will often 'latch' onto just about anything - however I do think the idea of male lactation is definitely NOT the norm, and I think weird, and I thank you for not posting the pic. The world Health organization says the first thing for a baby is it's own mothers milk, then next is actually milk from another mother at the breast/wet nursing, before bottle feeding a baby with preferably it's own mothers pumped milk, and then donor milk from another lactating mother, and then it goes to processed/manufactured milk ie: formula. Nowhere in that list is milk from a lactating male. I don't know for sure, but it just seems to go against the actual plan/design of women and what is natural and normal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would defiantly not consider this the norm, and I find it rather disturbing also.

    ReplyDelete