Friday, February 17, 2012

Food!

I have always known that I am picky. As I've gotten older I feel like I've gotten even more picky if that is possible. I have little tolerance for many foods that as a child I loved. Things like Kellogg's rice crispy treats, spaghettios, store bought spaghetti sauce, etc. Even store bought white (and sometimes wheat) bread tastes fake to me.
Recently it came to my attention how many people have developed allergies to any and everything! Almost every family has someone with some sort of allergy or sensitivity. Be it peanuts, gluten, strawberries, etc. The number of allergies and sensitivities keeps rising. It makes me wonder and has gotten me to thinking. Is there a correlation with the foods people eat, the health care they receive and sensitivities? There are already questions about vaccinations causing or aggravating autistic tendencies. Whether real or not, it has gotten me thinking.
I want to state that my musings have no basis in facts and these are just my opinions, ones that I would love to see many studies come out on.
As a child in utero our Mother's body filters out the majority of the 'processed' foods that we get. We are then born and even many Mothers who breastfeed give their baby formula here or there. So it starts as a baby. Being unable to completely digest the food that we take in. Then the baby matures to the baby food stage. Of which according to store shelves there are 3 (I think) stages of baby food, starting with rice cereal. The child then progresses to jars of pureed food that has to have something in it to keep it fresh, some sort of preservative to make it last. Then there are the special melt away crackers, whole meals that are put in jars 'semi-pureed.' And so on and so forth until the child is eating everything that the parents eat. From frozen meals to fast food. Everything is preserved. School lunches are just as bad, if not worse than the frozen meals and the fast food. What does that do to a body? What ramifications does that have for the child? The adult? How does that differ from someone who puts wholesome foods in their body?
When Kira was a baby I bought 1 box of rice cereal. She would never swallow it so I gave up. She ate what we eat. I would cook sweet potatoes and puree it and that's what she would have for a week. She would share whatever we had for dinner, I wasn't concerned about limiting her to the recommended one new food a week. Some weeks she would eat two new foods, others five plus.
With Rora it was a bit different. I also bought one box of rice cereal because my Mom had told me how she had found it so convenient. I thought I'd give it a try. Rora ate it up. Yet that night she had terrible stomach pain and constipation, completely abnormal for her 6 month old body. She was wracked with pain. I never gave her 'store bought' baby food again. One of her first foods was spaghetti sauce. I had made spaghetti for dinner and she really wanted to eat with us so I gave her some sauce to play with. She ate a lot and never had any problems. Perhaps it was because my sauce is made completely from scratch? All fresh vegetables. Would it have been different if I had used a store bought sauce? I'm not sure, but I'd love to see the study...that said though, I am not sure that I want to see the study because I don't want kids subjected to processed foods.
I'm not saying that every child with a food allergy or sensitivity is because of processed foods, yet I have to wonder what the relationship is between a wholesome diet and allergies vs. the more convenient diet and the same allergies. Are allergies one of the ways our bodies are trying to fight back against our processed culture? Even the honey that is bought in stores is lacking the pollen that helps make honey so good for our bodies.
I could go on and on, but I think I put enough of my theory down on paper. What do you think? And just because you have made it to the end of this post, here are a couple of pics of my kiddos being healthy. Rora enjoying the fruits of her labor while strawberry picking and both girls with a refreshing smoothie (the color is because of the spinach.)


No comments:

Post a Comment