Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Innocence

   We are really trying to get Kira to be more thoughtful in her prayers, so we have instilled a guideline to follow.  We thank Heavenly Father for 3 items to every 1 thing we ask for.  It has worked wonders and Kira is really pondering what she wants to say in her prayers.  Which has led to some great discussions for us.  Of course, not every discussion leaves me feeling wonderful, some like tonight's, leave me sad. 
   Tonight she thanked the Lord that our family is together.  This should be a happy thing, except that when I asked her about it she told me that the book she is reading (Meet Julie - an American Girl) makes her sad because that family isn't together.  She picked the book at the library and even though I hadn't read it I had read all the American Girl books that were out when I was a girl.  I have to admit that I was disappointed when the story started out with the family moving because her parents had gotten a divorce.  We then had a very, very long talk about what divorce was.  She didn't know anything about divorce.  I know, she is sheltered, but at six why shouldn't she be?  I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching her and instilling in her that Happily Ever After is a possibility.   I understand that divorce does happen, now more than ever, so American girl wanted to reach out to those girls, yet it makes me sad. 
   During the course of our conversation tonight Kira told me she doesn't want to read anymore of Meet Julie and I can respect her decision.  While I don't want to shield her from the world, I want her to be ready for it and at six she just isn't ready.  I guess I need to start screening the books she reads...I don't know why that makes me so sad but it does. 
   Any tips to help both of us navigate this new to us area? 

No comments:

Post a Comment