Sunday, June 27, 2010

How much?

So in two days Aurora will be 6 months. I was asked recently how much I would estimate a baby to cost. Wow. What a hard question. With Rora being the second child and another girl, she has cost us much less. I figured it would be fun to breakdown how much I have spent on her.

Hospital visit - $0 since she was born before the insurance change at the new year.

Clothing - I bought her a snugli($6 on sale), a dress($5 on sale), and one outfit($10 - no sale it was to cute to pass up!) before she was born, a pack of tights($2.88) and a pair of warm socks(~$2). We have been very blessed with friends giving us their childrens outgrown clothes - especially Angie! Thankfully between that and Kira's old clothes that is all I have needed to buy. Total: $25.88

Diapers and wipes - 3 boxes of wipes -($10 x3). One set of size small diapers, plus covers(78.00) two extra covers($11 x2) Plus two packs of newborn diapers - before the cloth fit - ($6x2)
Total: $142

Food - Breastfeeding is bestfeeding! So $0 was spent before she started solids. Oops, I did buy one head of cabbage for engorgement ($2). We have bought one box of rice cereal($1.50), two sweet potatoes(.75 x2) and a sippy cup($2.50) Other than that she has eaten what we eat.
Total:$7.50

Necessities - One bottle of shampoo ($1). Two packages of binkis($2.50 x2). One mei tei - thank you thank you thank you Jess! - ($10 bought from a friend). Mommy's sanity...HAHAHAHAHA!
Total: $16

We haven't used childcare since I am a SAHM, so $0 spent. Her clothes are sharing a dresser with Akira's so $0 spent. She sleeps in our bed at night and during the day she sleeps in the bassinet(given to us for Akira - $0) or on the floor. Her carseat was given to us for Akira - thanks Nelly! We bought the stroller for Akira. All her toys are either hand me downs, or have been given to her.

Our total out of pocket expense for Aurora through the first six months of life is... $191.38!

Truthfully, it was more than I thought it would be. However, we did have to buy the diapers and those are a bit pricey. Next baby we wont have that expense! I am sure that by now you are bored going over our finances, but I have to say that it was fun for me to sit here and figure out how much we acctually spent on her. Of course, the life she has added to our family, the love and kisses she shares with me, the joy I get when I see how much Kira adores her and her role as a big sister, all this is worth every penny and so much more than that! Being a mom is the greatest blessing the Lord could have given me. I would spend every penny I have and then some to have the joy that my children bring me.
If we only look at the logistics of raising a child, so much is not taken in to account. You lose the way your heart grows when you feel the baby kick, when it swells as you hold them in your arms and you realize that they have always been a part of your family. The pride that you recieve as they learn to roll, crawl, walk, show compassion for someone else or choose the right. That is why you have kids. You can't just look at the money. You have to take the leap of faith and let the Lord guide your family to become exactly who he want you to be.

2 comments:

  1. It is ironic that you posted on this. Someone at work was talking to Brandt about kids, and the expenses involved. I have been thinking myself about how the first baby is the most expensive. I was afraid that I was going to have to buy a lot now that I have my first girl, but I have had a couple people give me plenty of hand me downs, so I haven't had to buy a single outfit. (And I have boxes of girl clothes up to 12 months) I think in general if people can stay at home to cut out the daycare expense (Where possible), use hand me downs/bargain shop for clothes, and breastfeed, then the cost of kids really isn't too bad! I also truly believe that the Lord will help you afford anything you really need, and will guide you as you raise your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have only had to buy 3 boxes of wipes?!?!? How did you get away with that? I swear I buy wipes every couple of weeks, even though I buy them in bulk...

    ReplyDelete