Sunday, March 25, 2012

Honestly!?!

I'm laying here on the couch keeping heat on my back while the family is at church. To pass the time I was reading through the comments on the pregnancy blog I read and I am completely disgusted.
For the past week or so the talk has all been about baby showers. For the most part I've skimmed through those comments because I really don't care about baby showers. I had one with Kira, it was fun, but not something that I made a big deal about. It was held at my Aunt's house and I can't tell you what we ate, what the theme was, if we played any games, or even what I received. I can tell you that I enjoyed it.
So back to the forum. Today the comments were mostly post shower and I am disgusted and physically sick at the tone of the comments. Here are a few excerpts.

"When I had my baby shower for my first I was furious because nobody bought anything off my registry. I got several of the larger items I wanted (travel system and swing) but people thought it was okay to just buy one that THEY liked. I ended up with a collection of Winnie the Pooh everything that I hate! It was almost a blessing that I knew I wasn't having a shower this time because I've just been getting what I need for myself."

"So I will have to pay out of pocket for everything I put on my registry that I needed: bassinet, diaper pail, bouncy swing, swaddle me blankets, bottle sterilizer and warmer, bottle cleaner, drying rack, and sling (i don't understand because everything On my List was under $50 except for the swing bouncy chair which to be honest i really wasn't expecting anyone to get me.) I have my shower and get TONS (don't get me wrong) but POINTLESS gifts. So now I have 4 weeks until she could come at any time and 7 weeks until my due date and then she WILL be here and now I feel like I am being rushed and I don't have enough time to get all the NECESSARY things I actually NEEDED. it's like where am I going to pull $400-500 of disposable income out of no where? I now feel stressed and unprepared and I can totally feel a spur of nesting and restlessness coming on."

" It just really sucks people don't take the time to look at your registry. A lot of the stuff I didn't want nor did i need. Very grateful and I really appreciate it but still just a little itty teensy bit sort kinda annoying."

And so on and so on. (All 3 comments are from different people and there were more than a dozen people that said basically the same thing...) Is our world really so selfish that people are no longer grateful for the energy and love that is put into giving them a shower? I just don't understand the mentality. Personally, I have had a couple offers from people to have a shower that I have declined because I don't really need anything (3rd girl and all) and I don't like the idea that on baby #3 people should feel obligated to help out with anything. Even with your first baby anything you get at a shower is above and beyond what is expected. When did our society turn from gratitude to one of expectations?
I guess it's just the shallowness of ordinary people that has me flabbergasted. I would almost expect it from a "celebrity," but ordinary people are supposed to have their heads on their shoulders. I just hope and pray that my children don't grow up to act anywhere near that way...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is terrible! A baby shower shouldn't be about the gifts, it is a time to celebrate that you are expecting a new baby soon with your family and friends. I certainly hope my kids don't grow up that greedy. It truly disgusts me what a "me" world we live in. Where is the emphasis on service and helping OTHER people!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have a question about showers. I am expecting my first girl (after 3 boys). Someone wants to throw me a shower but I don't know it that's too presumptuous.... Granted I need girls clothes but it's not like I can't afford to get them. I really don't want to inconvenience people... In January and February there were 3 showers for first time moms that needed to be supported. A shower for a fourth kid is a bit much right? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shennie! I didn't know you were having a girl! CONGRATS!!! If you want my honest opinion, I would have a shower if I were you. There is a difference between a 3rd girl and and even though this baby is your 4th, she will be your first girl. To me that merits a shower if someone has offered it. The main reason I have declined having a shower is that I feel our ward does to many showers. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to have a shower just because someone feels obligated to throw me one since everyone else in the ward has had one. I'm not sure if that makes as much sense written out as it does in my head...anyways, if I were you i'd have a shower. And I'M SOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!

    ReplyDelete